Skip navigation and jump to content
Welcome to Ireland's Youth Information Website
Follow us
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Snapchat

Accessibility Options

High Contrast Text Size

Jobseeker’s Allowance and Self-Employment

You may be able to claim JA if you are self employed

Written by SpunOut | View this authors Twitter page and posted in employment

Share this article -

Can I claim JobSeeker's Allowance while self employed?

If you are self-employed, the tax and PRSI you pay is different to that paid by employees. Self-employed people pay PRSI Class S. As such, you will not qualify for Jobseekers Benefit. However, if you worked as an employee for the past 4 years and paid PRSI Class A, then you may have paid enough contributions to claim Jobseekers Benefit. 
If you are self-employed and feel you need to claim Jobseekers Allowance, you do not need to close your business to do so. 
Jobseeker's Allowance is assessed by a means test, and your income from self-employment is taken into account for this if you are claiming JA while working freelance. The earnings from your business from the previous 12 months count as assessable income, and this figure will then be divided by 52 in order to find your weekly means. 
Share this article -

Published September 22nd, 2016
Last updated July 11th, 2018
Tags employment education
Can this be improved? Contact if you have any suggestions for this article.

Need more information?

Request to speak with a youth worker in your area over the phone, by email or text. They may be able to assist you by providing further information specific to your needs.

Youth Work Ireland - Crosscare - YMCA

Contact via: Phone E-mail Text
By clicking submit you agree to our terms and conditions. ​Please note that this service is run by Youth Work Ireland and Crosscare​.​ E​nquiries are not handled by directly.
Jump to related articles
Was this article helpful?