What is Supplementary Welfare Allowance?

Emergency welfare payment for those with no income
Written by

If you have no income, you could be entitled to Supplementary Welfare Allowance. It is a payment for people whose weekly income falls below the limit determined for their family size. If you have claimed a social welfare benefit but it has not been paid and you have no othger income, then you might qualify for basic Supplementary Welfare Allowance while you wait. If you have returned to work, you can claim the basic Supplementary Welfare Allowance for up to 30 days while you are waiting to get your wages.

What conditions do I need to meet to qualify?

To qualify for Supplementary Welfare Allowance you need to:

  • Live in Ireland
  • Satisfy the means test
  • Have applied for any other social welfare benefit or allowance you may be entitled to
  • Have registered for work with your local Intreo office or Employment Services Office
  • Satisfy the habitual residence condition

What would prevent me from qualifying?

You will not qualify for basic Supplementary Welfare Allowance if you:

  • Work for more than 30 hours per week
  • Are in full-time education
  • Are involved in a trade dispute

What is taken into account for the Means Test?

All cash income, including Social Welfare payments. There are a number of payments excluded, however, Child Benefit is one of them. If you are 24 years of age or younger and you are living with a parent/step-parent in the family home, then your parent(‘s’) income will be taken into account.

If you were paid Supplementary Welfare Allowance while you were waiting for a social welfare benefit, assistance or pension, the amount paid will be deducted from the arrears of your social welfare payment.

The Department of Social Protection website provides information about the personal rates of payment.

What do I need to apply?

  • The proper form
  • PPS card
  • Proof of residency (bill)
  • Proof of ID (passport, driving licence)
  • Evidence of household income (P45, P60, pay slip)
  • Birth certificates for any children for whom you care

For more information about this payment, contact your local Intreo centre or Social Welfare Office, or check out the Citizens Information Website. You can find information on filling out the form here.

Need more information?

We are here to answer your questions and talk through your options. Our online chat service is for 16 to 25 year olds and is available Monday to Friday, 4pm to 8pm. Chat to us now about your situation.

Related articles
Skip to content