Jobseeker’s Allowance and Self-Employment

You may be able to claim JA if you are self employed
Written by
Freelance Part time Outsources Job Employment Concept

Can I claim JobSeeker’s Allowance while self employed?

  If you are self-employed, the tax and PRSI you pay is different to that paid by employees. Self-employed people pay PRSI Class S. As such, you will not qualify for Jobseekers Benefit. However, if you worked as an employee for the past 4 years and paid PRSI Class A, then you may have paid enough contributions to claim Jobseekers Benefit.    If you are self-employed and feel you need to claim Jobseekers Allowance, you do not need to close your business to do so.    Jobseeker’s Allowance is assessed by a means test, and your income from self-employment is taken into account for this if you are claiming JA while working freelance. The earnings from your business from the previous 12 months count as assessable income, and this figure will then be divided by 52 in order to find your weekly means. 

Need more information?

We are here to answer your questions and talk through your options. Our online chat service is for 16 to 25 year olds and is available Monday to Friday, 4pm to 8pm. Chat to us now about your situation.

Related articles
Skip to content