Jobseeker’s Transitional Payment

What it is, and how you could qualify for it
Written by
Mother sitting with her children on sofa at home in living room

Jobseeker’s Transitional Payment is a social welfare payment for lone parents who have children between the ages of 7 and 13 years old. It is a type of Jobseeker’s Allowance with special exceptions to encourage and support lone parents to enter the workforce.

How do I qualify to Jobseeker’s Transitional Payment?

To qualify for Jobseeker’s Transitional Payment, you must fulfill the same requirements as that of the Jobseeker’s Allowance. The maximum weekly rate of payment is the same for both, but to claim Jobseeker’s Transitional Payment you:

  • Do not have to be available for and seeking full-time work. This is to allow you to care for your young children. If you do find full time work, there are a number of childcare supports which you can avail of.
  • You can take part in an educational course and still claim Jobseeker’s Transitional Payment.
  • You do not have to be fully unemployed for 4 out of 7 days. This means you could work 5 days a week in the mornings, while your children are in school, and still claim Jobseeker’s Transitional Payment, subject to a means test.
  • You cannot cohabit while you are claiming Jobseeker’s Transitional Payment.

You must sign a declaration every 3 months to confirm that you are still entitled to Jobseeker’s Transitional Payment. You must also declare any change in your circumstances to the Department of Social Protection.

What do I need to do to apply for, and receive, Jobseeker’s Transitional Payment?

When you start receiving Jobseeker’s Transitional Payment, you will be scheduled to attend a meeting with one of the Department of Social Protection’s case officers. This meeting will help you gain access to any education, training or employment schemes that will help you prepare for full time employment. You must attend this meeting or you could be paid a penalty rate of Jobseeker’s Transitional Payment.

Can I still work and claim Jobseeker’s Transitional Payment?

Yes, the amount of payment you receive from social welfare depends on your weekly means though. Your weekly means is how much you earn per week. However, the first €150 you earn is not taken into account for your means. As such, you can earn €150 per week and still qualify for the maximum amount of Jobseeker’s Transitional Payment. Then 50% of the rest of your earnings are assessed as means.

Can I claim any secondary social welfare payments while receiving Jobseeker’s Transitional Payment?

Yes, you qualify for Fuel Allowance, Back to School Clothing and Footwear Allowance, and in certain circumstances, Rent Supplement. However, if you are getting a student grant, or are in full time education, you cannot get Rent Supplement.

How do I apply for Jobseeker’s Transitional Payment?

You must fill in the JST1 form, or apply through your local Social Welfare or Intreo centre. 

For more information see the Citizens Information Website.

Need more information?

We are here to answer your questions and talk through your options. Our online chat service is for 16 to 25 year olds and is available Monday to Friday, 4pm to 8pm. Chat to us now about your situation.

Related articles
Skip to content