If you have been unemployed for at least one year and are seeking new opportunities in your community, you might be interested in Tús.
What is Tús?
Tús is a community work placement scheme that offers short-term opportunities for unemployed people. The work placements are usually 19.5 hours per week and last for 12 months.
Am I eligible for Tús?
You are eligible for Tús if:
- You have been unemployed for at least 12 months and signing on a full-time basis
- You have been receiving a jobseeker’s payment (Jobseeker’s Allowance or Jobseeker’s Benefit) for at least 12 months
- You are currently receiving Jobseeker’s Allowance
What type of work can I do through Tús?
All of the work opportunities are provided by community and voluntary organisations in urban and rural areas and are meant to benefit the community.
The types of work that might be undertaken include:
- Environmental sciences (e.g. conservation, maintenance of national walkways)
- Caring service (e.g. childcare, care of older people)
- General community services (e.g. newsletters or information provision for communities)
- Heritage and cultural services (e.g. local heritage project)
How much will I receive while participating in Tús?
The minimum weekly payment for participants (based on 19.5 hours worked) is €230.50. If the actual Jobseeker’s Allowance you were getting (including increases for dependants) was €208 a week or less, then you will get the minimum Tús payment of €230.50 per week.
If your actual weekly Jobseeker’s Allowance (including any increases for dependants) was €208.01 or more, then you will get this rate plus €22.50 while on the scheme.
Can I do other work while on Tús?
You can work part-time provided it doesn’t interfere with the work times of the Tús placement.
How do I apply for Tús?
There is no formal application system for the scheme. Unemployed people will be identified and contacted by their social welfare office or Intreo Centre. If an eligible person agrees to participate, then they will be recruited when a placement becomes available.
Need more information?
We are here to answer your questions and talk through your options. Our online chat service is for 16 to 25 year olds and is available Monday to Friday, 4pm to 8pm. Chat to us now about your situation.
- Chat now to a trained Youth Information Officer
- Or leave us a message and we will email you back