Tús is a community work placement scheme that offers short-term opportunities for unemployed people. The work placements are usually 19.5 hours per week and last for 12 months.
Am I eligible for Tús?
You are eligible for Tús if:
- You have been unemployed for at least 12 months and signing on a full-time basis and;
- You have been receiving a jobseeker’s payment (Jobseeker’s Allowance or Jobseeker’s Benefit) for at least 12 months
- And if you are currently receiving Jobseeker’s Allowance
Types of work through Tús
The work placement scheme is run by local development companies and Údaras na Gaeltachta. The work opportunities are provided by community and voluntary organisations in urban and rural areas and are meant to benefit the community.
The types of work that might be undertaken include:
- Environmental sciences (e.g. conservation, maintenance of national walkways)
- Caring service (e.g. childcare, care of older people)
- General community services (e.g. newsletters or information provision for communities)
- Heritage and cultural services (e.g. local heritage project)
- Para-educational services (e.g. community playgroups)
How do I apply?
There is no formal application system for the scheme. Unemployed people will be identified and contacted by their social welfare office or Intreo centre. If an eligible person agrees to participate, then they will be recruited when a placement becomes available.
Can I do other work and Tús?
Based on 19.5 hours a week, a worker is entitled to €208. You can work part-time provided it doesn’t interfere with the work times of the Tús placement.
Need more information?
We are here to answer your questions and talk through your options. Our online chat service is for 16 to 25 year olds and is available Monday to Friday, 4pm to 8pm. Chat to us now about your situation.