Gambling addiction is a common issue in Ireland. If you or someone in your life is affected by and seeking help for a gambling addiction, there are places you can turn to for support. It is possible to live a life without gambling.
- Gambler’s Anonymous (GA) is a support group where members discuss getting help for a gambling addiction
- You can attend Gambler’s Anonymous meetings which are located in several different cities and towns around Ireland
- Find out more about meeting times and locations here
- GA also has a mobile app listing all of their services and meeting times
- GA also hold meetings for family and friends of people with a gambling addiction called Gam-Anon
- GA and Gam-Anon meetings are free to attend
Dunlewey Addiction Service
- Dunlewey Addiction Service provides information on commonly asked questions about gambling. They have a helpline which can be reached at 1800 936 725 (ROI) or 08000 886 725 (NI)
- By calling the helpline you can find out more information about the support services and free face-to-face counselling available in your area
- Although Samaritans is not specifically a organisation to seek help for a gambling addiction, they are still able to provide you with helpful information and resources
- Feel free to contact them by phone at 116 123, or by email at [email protected]
- They are available to help 24 hours a day, every day
- Crosscare provides addiction counselling to those affected by gambling
- The service is available in Drumcondra, Balbriggan, or Blanchardstown
- It is free of charge
- For more information contact Susan on [email protected] or Gerry on [email protected]
- The Rutland Centre provides residential and outpatient treatment for men and women over 18 years of age. They are open to people from all over Ireland. This part of their service is paid, and is not available for free
- However, The Rutland Centre offers FREE family support and advice sessions every fortnight so that families can speak to a trained counsellor and get advice about how to approach somebody that they love and want to help
- Phone 01-4946358 or email [email protected]
If you’re worried about your gambling or a friend’s gambling, you can learn the signs of a gambling addiction here.
Supporting someone going through a hard time can be tough. Click here for information on supporting someone with a gambling problem.
Feeling overwhelmed and want to talk to someone?
- Get anonymous support 24/7 with our text message support service
- Connect with a trained volunteer who will listen to you, and help you to move forward feeling better
- Free-text SPUNOUT to 50808 to begin
- Find out more about our text message support service
If you are a customer of the 48 or An Post network or cannot get through using the ‘50808’ short code please text HELLO to 086 1800 280 (standard message rates may apply). Some smaller networks do not support short codes like ‘50808’.