Rape Crisis Centre: Information on the services they provide
Information on the services in Rape Crisis Centres in Ireland
Any experience of sexual violence can be intensely isolating. Care, help and support is available at your local rape crisis centre. In order to break the isolation imposed by the attack, it helps to have contact with others who acknowledge and validate your experience and how it has affected you.
Find out more about sexual abuse.
What is a Rape Crisis Centre?
Rape Crisis Centres (RCCs) offer support, information, counselling, and advocacy services for both survivors and supporters of survivors of rape and all other forms of sexual violence.
Rape Crisis Network Ireland (RCNI) is a specialist information and resource centre on rape and all forms of sexual violence. RCNI are a representative body for some of the Rape Crisis Centres in Ireland.
Services provided by your local Rape Crisis Centre
- Support and counselling for women and men who have experienced any form of sexual violence.
- Someone to accompany you to the Gardaí, the court, the doctor, or a Sexual Assault Treatment Unit if this is what you decide to do.
- Dublin Rape Crisis Centre run the National 24-hour, 365-days a year sexual violence helpline – you can contact it on 1800 77 88 88
Information your local Rape Crisis Centre can provide:
- Advice on recovery and support
- Garda procedures and the legal process if this is what you choose to do
- How to access a Sexual Assault Treatment Unit for pregnancy testing, emergency contraception, tests for sexually transmitted infections and the test for HIV
- Providing support for family, friends, partners and others who are supporting survivors of sexual violence
All services are confidential and free.
Find your local Rape Crisis Centre.
Staff at a Rape Crisis Centre can help you work through your feelings and decide what you wish to do. The 24 Hour National Sexual Violence Helpline 1800 77 8888 offer a confidential, listening and support service for women and men who have been raped, sexually assaulted, sexually harassed, or sexually abused at any time in their lives, and for those supporting them. They can provide information about your local Rape Crisis Service.
Feeling overwhelmed or want to talk to someone right now?
- Get anonymous support 24/7 with our text message support service
- Connect with a trained volunteer who will listen to you, and help you to move forward feeling better
- Free-text SPUNOUT to 50808 to begin
- Find out more about our text message support service
If you are a customer of the 48 or An Post network or cannot get through using the ‘50808’ short code please text HELLO to 086 1800 280 (standard message rates may apply). Some smaller networks do not support short codes like ‘50808’.