If you need some support with saving and budgeting, there are some free and helpful apps available. Learn more about these apps and how they could help you to manage your finances.
Free saving and budgeting apps
With so many money-focused apps available, it can be difficult to know what one is right for you. By learning more about what they offer, you can choose one that suits your needs.
Spending Tracker can help you to budget and monitor your spending. Every time you spend money or you get paid, you are asked to put said money in a category such as income, food, fuel, clothes, entertainment, or another category created by you. This allows you to see where most of your money is going. Available for: iOS and Android
Splitwise allows you to split bills with multiple people, such as housemates, roommates, or partners. It allows you to log all bills so that everyone can see it, and then it will give you a notification when each person pays their part of the bill.
The app also gives you the ability to:
- log informal debts and IOUs
- create bills that occur weekly, fortnightly, monthly or yearly
- set up repayment plans so that people can repay their bill in small installments
The Smart Receipts app is suitable for both individuals and businesses. It allows you to store receipts all in one place. Other features include:
- Create expense report “folders” to categorize your receipts
- Take receipt photos with your camera’s phone
- Import PDF receipts
- Generate PDF, CSV, & ZIP reports
Revolut is a digital banking alternative that you can set up directly from your phone. The standard plan is free and includes features such as:
- Currency exchange
- Cryptocurrency exchange
- Fast and simple peer-to-peer payments
- A bill-splitting feature
- Built-in budgeting and expense tracker tools
Wise (formerly TransferWise) is used for sending, spending and receiving money internationally. It will use a standard exchange rate instead of high charges that often come with your bank’s exchange rate.
Money Lover keeps is a simple app that allows you to track and categorise your spending and incoming money. It also allows you to set budgets, get notified of recurring bills and transactions before they’re due and scan and organise receipts. The app can predict future spending based on your spending history, then give you advice on how to stick to budgets.
Spendee allows you to better manage your spending by allowing you to create different ‘wallets’ for different spending purposes such as food, travel and savings. You can also connect Spendee with your online banking, E-Wallet (such as PayPal) or crypto-wallet (such as Coinbase) to see your money all in one place.
Feeling overwhelmed and want to talk to someone?
- Get anonymous support 24/7 with our text message support service
- Connect with a trained volunteer who will listen to you, and help you to move forward feeling better
- Free-text SPUNOUT to 50808 to begin
- Find out more about our text message support service
If you are a customer of the 48 or An Post network or cannot get through using the ‘50808’ short code please text HELLO to 086 1800 280 (standard message rates may apply). Some smaller networks do not support short codes like ‘50808’.