Our mental health is something that is always with us, but many people many only associate mental health with experiencing a mental health difficulty. As with physical health, our mental health needs continuous care and attention to help keep it healthy. The idea of positive mental health is not that a person will never experience a mental health difficulty, but that we can all make choices to help promote overall health and wellbeing that can support us throughout our lives.
Information to help support your mental health
- Nine ways to help manage anxiety
- Dealing with depression
- Practical help for self harm
- 10 ways to maintain your positive mental health
- How sleep can affect your mental health
- How alcohol can impact our mental health
- Is it time for a digital detox?
- Why is personal fitness and exercise important?
- How to open up to someone about your mental health
Services to help support your mental health
50808 is a first of its kind for Ireland. It is a free 24/7 text service, providing everything from a calming chat to immediate support for people going through a mental health or emotional crisis – big or small.
From breakups or bullying, to anxiety, depression and suicidal feelings, our Crisis Volunteers are available 24/7 for anonymous text conversations. Our aim is to provide immediate support in the short term and connect people to resources that will help them in the future.
Text SPUNOUT to 50808 to begin.
Jigsaw is a national centre for youth mental health. They focus on intervening early to support the mental health of those aged 12 to 25 years of age. Jigsaw operates 13 services in communities across Ireland. They offer a place you can visit for free with confidential support from trained mental health professionals.
The services Jigsaw offer include:
- One to one sessions for young people aged 12-25
- Phone helpline open Monday to Friday 1pm- 5pm, call 1800 544 729
- Text helpline open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm, text “call me” with your preferred day and time for a call to 086 180 3880
- Email [email protected] open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm, you can email anytime and clinicians will be responding from
- Visit Jigsaw.ie for more information
Turn2Me are a community of fully qualified and accredited mental health professionals that work online to provide a high quality, safe, anonymous and confidential space for you to gain support – wherever you are, whenever you need them, for whatever you are going through.
The services Turn2me offer include:
- Up to six free counselling sessions for adults online via instant chat/messaging, video or email
- Eight video counselling sessions for young people aged 12-17
- Eight video counselling sessions for couples
- They also offer support groups online and peer support online
- Visit Turn2Me.ie for more information
Pieta House provides free therapy to those engaging in self-harm, with suicidal thoughts, or bereaved by suicide.
- Call Freephone on 1800 247 247
- TEXT HELP to 51444 (Standard message rates apply)
- Visit Pieta.ie for more information