BeLonG To release results from LGBTI+ Life in Lockdown National Survey
COVID-19 has had a negative impact on the mental health of young LGBTI+ people in Ireland
Today BeLonG To released results from their LGBTI+ Life in Lockdown survey they recently carried out. Almost 300 LGBTI+ young people from all over Ireland shared their experiences of how lockdown, due to COVID-19 (Coronavirus), has affected them.
Findings from the survey
The survey asked young LGBTI+ people about their mental health, physical health, home environment, employment and education during the COVID-19 pandemic. The findings show that lockdown has had a serious impact on the mental health of young people who participated in the survey.
Key findings on mental health
- 93% are struggling with anxiety, stress or depression (compared to 53% of young people named in the Young Social Innovators COVID-19 Youth ‘Check In’ Survey 2020.)
- 55% are struggling with suicide ideation
- 45% are struggling with self-harm
- 48% regard their mental health as bad or very bad
- 60% are experiencing loneliness
When it came to physical health 40% of LGBTI+ young people said they had no daily routine and only 46% of the participants where getting exercise three times or more a week. Over half reported that their home environment was 'not good'. Many young people (42%) also reported that they are not fully accepted in their home environment.
Most of the young people were engaging in education, 20% were neither in employment or education, and only 8% were working at the time of the survey in May.
Supporting LGBTI+ young people
BeLonG To are continuing to support the young LGBTI+ people of Ireland through online youth work, online youth groups, supporting professionals and making their free online training available to all teachers and youth workers. Through this work they are providing a safe space for young people to come together, be who they are and be supported.
What can I do to support?
- Check out the BeLonG To website
- Read our article on support available for LGBTI+ young people during COVID-19
- Sign up for BeLonG To’s free online training for teachers and youth workers