Due to the current COVID-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic the Government has asked us all to play our part and practice social distancing by staying inside and avoiding all unnecessary contact with others where possible.
By social distancing we can all help to slow the spread of the virus and give our healthcare workers the best chance of being able to save lives. This is an emergency situation unlike anything we have experienced before and by making small and temporary changes to our lifestyles we can help fight the virus.
We all have people in our lives who need protecting, such as our grandparents, parents, those close to us who may have underlying conditions, pregnant people and young children. By choosing not to spend time with your friends and partners you are helping to protect the most vulnerable in our society and those most important to you in your life.
Over the coming weeks we will provide news pieces, factsheets and opinion pieces to keep you informed on how to stay safe and healthy during these times. We understand that these are uncertain times for everyone, but by working together to follow Government guidelines we can help to slow the spread of the virus and save lives.
Want to write for us? Share your story to support others during the COVID-19 pandemic
You can find all of our COVID-19 (Coronavirus) content in this article, or take a look at these specific guides put together for young people in Ireland:
- Guide for school students and Youthreach
- Guide for college students during COVID-19
- Guide to looking after your mental health during COVID-19
- Looking after your mental and physical wellbeing during COVID-19
- Guide to social distancing during COVID-19
- Guide to employment rights during COVID-19
Feeling overwhelmed or anxious around the current pandemic?
- Get anonymous support 24/7 with our text message support service
- Connect with a trained volunteer who will listen to you, and help you to move forward feeling better
- Text SPUNOUT to 086 1800 280 to begin
- Find out more about our text message support service
This situation is completely new to everyone involved and it is normal to feel worried or anxious about what is going on. Following the Government’s instructions on how to stay safe and help slow the spread of the virus, can help to make you feel more in control of your current situation.
If you feel overwhelmed by the current situation and need someone to talk to, our anonymous, 24 hour text line is always open. You’re worth talking about and we’re here to listen and support you.
Find information, advice, and support on social distancing, how to make the most of your time at home, and what the restrictions are.
- How to practice social distancing
- Why we need to practice social distancing
- How to handle feelings of loneliness when social distancing
- Do you feel unsafe at home while social distancing?
- How to spend time with your partner while social distancing
- How to connect with friends while staying at home
- How to volunteer during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Making the most out of your weekly shop during COVID-19
- My top 5 tips for enjoying ourselves while social distancing
- How to make the most of your time at home
- COVID-19 pandemic restrictions in Ireland
- What does the Taoiseach’s statement mean for me?
- Gaisce launch ‘Gaisce at Home’ during the COVID-19 pandemic
Mental health and COVID-19 (Coronavirus)
Find information on looking after your mental health during the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic here.
- How to handle coronavirus anxiety
- 5 ways to look after your wellbeing during the COVID-19 pandemic
- What mental health supports are available during the COVID-19 pandemic?
- How to look after your mental health while social distancing
- Supporting someone with a mental health problem during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Practising mindfulness and staying positive during the COVID-19 pandemic
- The problem with viral shaming during the COVID-19 pandemic
- How to reduce arguments during COVID-19 lockdown
- Living with an eating disorder during the COVID-19 pandemic
- How to stay body positive during COVID-19
- Resisting the urge to smoke during the COVID-19 pandemic
- 5 positives things to focus on during the COVID-19 pandemic
- What I’ve learned about myself during the COVID-19 pandemic
- How to make the most of your COVID-19 disappointment
- Why it’s ok to feel disappointed about the impact of COVID-19
- What I took for granted before the COVID-19 pandemic
- Why we should be kind to ourselves during the COVID-19 pandemic
- How I support my mental health during the COVID-19 pandemic
- What are Jigsaw online group chats and how can I access them?
- Take part in a free Stress Control Online programme with the HSE
- Free HSE resource available to help support wellbeing and resilience
Your health and COVID-19 (Coronavirus)
Find information on staying healthy, being active, and protecting yourself from COVID-19 (Coronavirus) below.
- Coronavirus: How to protect yourself from COVID-19
- Exercise you can do at home while social distancing
- How to get a good night’s sleep when spending your days at home
- Staying healthy during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Accessing crisis pregnancy services during COVID-19
- Drinking during the pandemic: Finding balance
- Can I have sex during the COVID-19 pandemic?
- Tips for staying healthy while social distancing
- Tips for keeping your body and mind active during the COVID-19 pandemic
Employment and COVID-19 (Coronavirus)
Find information on supports for those who have lost their job, have reduced hours, or who are struggling with money during the pandemic.
- How to apply for the Pandemic Unemployment Payment in Ireland
- Am I entitled to sick pay if I have the Coronavirus?
- My working hours have been reduced due to COVID19. What can I do?
- I am unable to work due to lack of childcare, what am I entitled to?
- My work is still open but I cannot go in or work from home, what am I entitled to?
- I am not medically certified, but my employer has told me not to come into work. What am I entitled to?
- I can’t work as I have to care for someone with COVID-19
- What am I entitled to if work decides to permanently let me go?
- Exceptional Need payment available during COVID-19 pandemic
- What to do if your apprenticeship is affected by the COVID-19 pandemic
- My experience working in retail during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Finishing college and finding a job during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Minister for Finance announces new measures to help people and businesses affected by COVID-19
- Threshold launch helpline for renters during COVID-19
Education, exams and COVID-19 (Coronavirus)
Find information and advice on how COVID-19 (Coronavirus) is impacting on education and exams. This section will be updated as we get more information.
- COVID-19: What does this mean for the Leaving Cert?
- Students express mental health concerns due to Leaving Cert uncertainty
- How to handle exam stress during the COVID-19 pandemic
- How does COVID-19 affect the CAO?
- How COVID-19 is impacting students in school and college
- How I’m coping with exam worrying during the coronavirus crisis
- How the Leaving Cert confusion is affecting me
- Tips for doing school or college work from home
- How the Leaving Cert uncertainty is impacting my mental health
- Why we urgently need a decision on the Leaving Cert
- Why colleges should bring in a “No Detriment” policy for COVID-19
- Students call for cancelling of State Exams
- Colleges to offer alternative arrangements for summer exams
- All Leaving Cert and Junior Cert students to get full marks in cancelled oral and practical exams
- Ombudsman for Children calls for urgent clarity on State Exams
Politics, society, and the economy
Find information on how COVID-19 (Coronavirus) is impacting on politics, the economy, and other issues.
- How COVID-19 could influence politics in Ireland
- What important lessons can we learn from the COVID-19 pandemic?
- Will COVID-19 help make a more inclusive society?
- Working in a hospital during the COVID-19 pandemic