Reopen dates for secondary schools announced
Leaving Cert and special school students will return on the 1st March
The Minister for Education Norma Foley has announced the target dates that secondary school students can return to school in Ireland. The reopening of schools will happen on a phased basis, this means that certain year groups will return before others. Once students have returned to school they will no longer have to take part in online classes.
When do secondary schools reopen in Ireland 2021?
Dates for schools to reopen:
- Leaving Cert students: Monday 1st March 2021
- Special school students: Monday 1st March 2021
- Fifth year students: Monday 15th March 2021 (target date)
- 1st to 4th year students: Monday 12th April 2021 (target date)
Going to school during COVID-19
For schools to remain open it is essential that teachers, parents and students all work together to follow COVID-19 regulations and stop the spread of the virus.
Read our articles for a refresher on how to stop the spread of COVID-19:
- Going to school during COVID-19
- Coronavirus: How to protect yourself from COVID-19
- What is the difference between a close and casual contact?
- What are the current COVID-19 restrictions in Ireland?
- Shopping safely during the COVID-19 pandemic
Have a question about returning to school?
Would you like more information? Maybe you would like to talk through your own situation? Get in touch through our online chat system for 16 to 25 year olds - Monday to Friday 4pm to 8pm.