Young Irish Film Maker scholarship opportunities announced.
The Irish Film Board are funding 5 placements.
Written by Conor McCreesh
Information about the latest news and opportunities.
The Irish Youth Foundation are delighted to announce that they are partnering up with Young Irish Filmmakers to offer a scholarship opportunity for young people aged 16-19.
The idea is to create access for young people who might otherwise be excluded from attending the National Youth Film School. This is a unique opportunity for any young person (16-19yrs) planning a career or college placement in Film or Television. Interactive workshops in all aspects of filmmaking, from writing to lighting, production to editing, all with experts in the field. This coupled with the experience of working on a professional film crew is not to be missed. The final films will premiere in front of an industry audience in the autumn to showcase the young talent.
This 10 Day Residential Film Camp (Kilkenny, 14-24 August 2017) will accommodate young filmmakers from all over Ireland to immerse them in the world of filmmaking with practical training workshops, intensive shooting days and long hours in the edit suite. The course will include script to screen training and mentorship through every step of the filmmaking process. It will facilitate the students to actively learn the skills and job roles involved in pre-production, the shoot and final edits. Portfolio workshops will also be hosted at The National Film School in IADT for students who are preparing to apply for college to study film, television or broadcast media. These unique workshops will provide students with the tools they need to present their work in a portfolio format.
- 5 x Scholarship placements
- Young people with a passion for filmmaking who may have financial restrictions in attaining a place on the residential programme
- Candidates chosen will represent a geographical spread across Ireland
- This bursary must be creating access for a young person who may not otherwise be able to afford to attend the National Youth Film School
- Person must be available to attend the film camp from 14-24 August 2017 in Kilkenny (Travel, accommodation & spending money will be included in scholarship funds)
- Applicants must be aged between 16-19 years
- Funds cannot be released directly to a young person’s bank account. The Irish Youth Foundation will release a grant to Young Irish Film Makers and they will release funds to the young person for travel and spending money.
- Successful applicants will be required to provide a reference such as a Youth Worker, Community Worker or Teacher.
- June 1st 2017: Online applications close
- June 23rd 2017: Shortlisted applicants will be invited to a phone interview
- July 5th 2017: 5 Scholarships will be confirmed
- Any queries in relation to the application process may be submitted to [email protected]
- Parental consent if you are under 18 years of age
- Examples of your work/ why you should be chosen: A link to youtube/vimeo/dropbox 60 second clip of a video of yourself telling us why you should be selected or a 90 second clip of a film you created. You can also share photography (maximum 5 shots). Please ensure that youtube/vimeo/dropbox upload references your name
- In no more than 100 words tell us why you should be selected for this fantastic opportunity.
- Reference contact details: Name, Phone Number & Email (Teacher, Youth Worker/ Community Worker)
(Prepare in advance of making the online application)