Skip navigation and jump to content
Welcome to Ireland's Youth Information Website
Follow us
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Snapchat

Accessibility Options

High Contrast Text Size

Back to Education Allowance - Second Level

Find out if you're entitled to attend a second-level course with the Back to Education Allowance (BTEA)

Written by SpunOut | View this authors Twitter page and posted in education

Share this article -

Have you ever thought about returning to second-level education after leaving school early the first time around? The Back to Education Allowance at second level gives those who left school early a chance to gain a qualification.

If you're over 21 and either unemployed, parenting alone, or you have a disability, and you receive certain payments from the Department of Social Protection, then you could be eligible for the Back to Education Allowance (BTEA).

This could give you the opportunity to attend a second-level course at any secondary, community, comprehensive or vocational school.

What kind of course can I do on BTEA?

The course must be full-time and lead to a certificate recognised by the Department of Education and Skills or approved by Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI), for example:

  • Junior Certificate 
  • Leaving Certificate
  • Post Leaving Certificate
  • City and Guilds Certificate.
  • An Access or Foundation course is considered to be a second-level course for BTEA purposes.

BTEA is also available for those interested in going to third level education.

How do I qualify for Back to Education Allowance?

In general, to qualify for the BTEA you must be over 21 and have been getting a qualifying social welfare payment. You must have been accepted onto a qualifying course.

However, if you are aged between 18 and 20, are getting Jobseeker's Allowance, Jobseeker's Benefit, Jobseeker's Transitional payment or One-Parent Family Payment for the required period (3 months, 9 months or 12 months), and have been out of the formal education system for at least 2 years, you may qualify.

If you are aged 18 or over and getting Blind Pension, Disability Allowance, Invalidity Pension or Incapacity Supplement for the required period (3 months or 9 months), you may also qualify.

Qualifying social welfare payments

How long do I have to be receiving payments before I qualify?

For second level courses you must have been getting a qualifying social welfare payment for at least 3 months. You must be getting the qualifying payment immediately before you start the course. 

You do not have to have been getting your qualifying payment continuously. If you've been on other qualifying social welfare payments or getting credits over a period of time that was not broken up by up to 12 months, this can be used towards determining if you qualify for BTEA.

Other payments that can count towards you qualifying for the BTEA include time spent on:

This provision only applies where you have established an entitlement to a qualifying social welfare payment immediately before you start your course of study.

How do I apply for Back to Education Allowance?

It will be up to you to make arrangements when it comes to getting accepted to a course. Here are some steps to start:

Contact a school or college

First off, contact your local school or college and ask for details of the courses available. 

Apply for the course of your choice

It's your responsibility to get a place on the course of your choice. Try to get your application in well in advance to avoid any last-minute panic, and to be sure you're making the right decision. If you want to start a course in September of any given year then get on the case in January and get a plan together.

You must apply for BTEA before your course starts (or within 30 days of the course starting).

Visit your local INTREO office

When you have been accepted on a course, you should visit your local Intreo or Social Welfare Office. You will then be required to fill out a BTE 1 Form. Click here to find out how to fill out the BTE 1 form.

You must get written confirmation that you are registered as a full-time day student from the college registrar or admission officer. You will not get payment of BTEA until you give this confirmation letter to the Department of Social Protection.

For more information, check the welfare website.

Need more information?

We are here to answer your questions and talk through your options. Our online chat service is for 16 to 25 year olds and is available Monday to Friday, 4pm to 8pm. Chat to us now about your situation.

Share this article -

Published Sep­tem­ber 15th2016
Tags education employment social welfare social welfare scheme
Can this be improved? Contact if you have any suggestions for this article.

Need more information?

Request to speak with a youth worker in your area over the phone, by email or text. They may be able to assist you by providing further information specific to your needs.

Youth Work Ireland - Crosscare - YMCA

Contact via: Phone E-mail Text
By clicking submit you agree to our terms and conditions. ​Please note that this service is run by Youth Work Ireland and Crosscare​.​ E​nquiries are not handled by directly.
Jump to related articles
Was this article helpful?