Skip navigation and jump to content
Welcome to Ireland's Youth Information Website
Follow us
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Snapchat

Accessibility Options

High Contrast Text Size

Partial Capacity Benefit

If you have been out of work due to a medical condition for 6+ months you could qualify for this

Written by SpunOut | View this authors Twitter page and posted in employment

Share this article -

If you have been out of work for 6 months or more due to an illness, and wish to return to the workforce, in a reduced capacity, you could qualify for Partial Capacity Benefit. If you are eligible, you could return to work while still receiving your social welfare payment.

However, you cannot work while receiving Illness Benefit or Invalidity Pension. You must transfer to the Partial Capacity Scheme if you want to enter employment. It is not necessary that you undertake rehabilitative or therapeutic work while receiving Partial Capacity Benefit. Likewise, if you wish to do voluntary work you do not have to transfer to Partial Capacity Benefit.

To qualify to transfer to Partial Capacity Benefit you must meet the following criteria:

  • Been in receipt of Illness Benefit for the previous 6 months or been in receipt of Invalidity Pension for 6 months
  • Undergo a medical assessment
  • Have a medical state assessed as moderate, severe, or profound

If you satisfy these conditions, then you can voluntarily avail of this scheme. However, if you find that you cannot continue to work, or your employment ceases, you may return to Illness Benefit or Invalidity Pension without repercussions.

Do not start working until you the Department of Social Protection has given you written approval. You should also get approval from your doctor before taking up employment. If your application is successful, there are no restrictions on how many hours you work, or how much you earn while receiving Partial Capacity Benefit. You can also receive this payment if you work in a self-employed capacity.

You can receive Partial Capacity Benefit for as long as you are entitled to Illness Benefit or Invalidity Pension. Your entitlement to this payment is subject to review though, and you may have to undergo a medical assessment.

Depending on your medical assessment, your personal rate of payment is based on your capacity for work. If your medical condition is classified as moderate, you will receive 50% of your Illness Benefit or Invalidity Pension. If it is severe, you will receive 75%, and if it is profound you will receive 100%.

If you were getting Invalidity Pension and were entitled to Free Travel, you can keep this entitlement. However, this will be means-tested after the first two years, and yearly after that.

To apply for this scheme you must contact the Partial Capacity Benefit Section of the Department of Social Protection. They will send out the forms you need in the post, as they are not available online.

Share this article -

Published September 7th, 2016
Last updated February 21st, 2018
Tags employment social welfare illness
Can this be improved? Contact if you have any suggestions for this article.

Need more information?

Request to speak with a youth worker in your area over the phone, by email or text. They may be able to assist you by providing further information specific to your needs.

Youth Work Ireland - Crosscare - YMCA

Contact via: Phone E-mail Text
By clicking submit you agree to our terms and conditions. ​Please note that this service is run by Youth Work Ireland and Crosscare​.​ E​nquiries are not handled by directly.
Jump to related articles
Was this article helpful?