Skip navigation and jump to content
Welcome to Ireland's Youth Information Website
Follow us
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Snapchat

Accessibility Options

High Contrast Text Size

I can't pay my rent

Get your emergency plan into action.

Written by SpunOut | View this authors Twitter page and posted in life

Share this article -

If you have found yourself in a financial pickle and can’t afford this month’s rent, try not to panic. These are steps you can take that might help:

Contact MABS

Visit MABS for some advice on budgeting and on the law. They also hold legal clinics around the country on a monthly basis, so you can chat with a qualified solicitor. You can contact their helpline on 0761 07 2000.

Talk to your landlord

Have a read through your lease. There may be specific terms in it that detail how long you can be late with the rent, without being kicked out. You may be able to buy yourself some more time.

Ask your landlord if you could pay a portion of the rent. This way, he still gets some money and can clearly see that you are not trying to scam him out of rent. Let them know when you will be able to pay the rest of it. Bear in mind that your landlord wants to do what they can to avoiding you moving out, as they most likely need your rent to pay the mortgage on the property you are living in. Even if they do get a good replacement tenant, it usually takes a while. Make sure to point out such arguments to them.

Talk to your friends or family

Think about borrowing the money from someone like a parent, best friend or partner.

If all else fails, see if you can hit up your friends for their couches and live there for a while until you get back on your feet. If you feel embarrassed about sleeping on a friend’s couch, offer to do some cleaning or cooking for your friend.

Contact St. Vincent De Paul

Contact an organisation such as St. Vincent De Paul. They specialise in helping people with financial difficulties. 

Contact Threshold

Threshold provide a tenancy support service for people at risk of losing their home. You can contact them on 1800 454 454

Contact The Peter McVerry Trust

The Peter McVerry Trust works to support young people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness in Dublin. You can contact them on  +353 (0)1 823 0776.

Need more information?

We are here to answer your questions and talk through your options. Our online chat service is for 16 to 25 year olds and is available Monday to Friday, 4pm to 8pm. Chat to us now about your situation.

Share this article -

Published Jan­u­ary 4th2013
Last updated May 21st2018
Tags money budget support
Can this be improved? Contact if you have any suggestions for this article.

Need more information?

Request to speak with a youth worker in your area over the phone, by email or text. They may be able to assist you by providing further information specific to your needs.

Youth Work Ireland - Crosscare - YMCA

Contact via: Phone E-mail Text
By clicking submit you agree to our terms and conditions. ​Please note that this service is run by Youth Work Ireland and Crosscare​.​ E​nquiries are not handled by directly.
Jump to related articles
Was this article helpful?