Apply for a free pass to travel around Europe
The application deadline for a free pass to travel around Europe is Tuesday 26th June
The European Union have launched the DiscoverEU scheme to encourage young people to experience freedom of movement, understand Europe’s diversity, enjoy its cultural richness and make new friends.
This is an opportunity for 140 Irish young people to travel across Europe for free for up to a month between 9 July and 30 September 2018.
What is the free European travel pass?
The European travel pass is mainly for use on the InterRail (train) system, but pass holders will also be able to use buses and ferries at certain times to help make travel across Europe easier.
In some circumstances, and when no other ways of travel are available, the pass will be able to cover plane travel as well.
140 young people in Ireland are being given a free travel pass, and a total of 15,000 young people across the European Union will receive one.
This year is the European Year of Cultural Heritage, so there will be many events taking place all over Europe to celebrate the EU’s fantastically diverse cultural heritage.
Who can apply?
You can apply for the passes if you are:
- 18 years old on 1 July 2018 (born between 2 July 1999 and 1 July 2000 included)
- A national of one of the 28 European Union (EU) member states
- Interested in travelling around Europe this year
- Would like to visit between one and four European countries
- Would like to be an ambassador for the EU
How to apply
- You can apply by yourself, or with a group of up to five people
- You will take part in a short quiz that is based on the 2018 European Year of Cultural Heritage and EU youth initiatives targeting young people
- You will also answer a tie-breaker question, which will help the European Commission to rank the applicants in case too many people apply
Applications for the travel pass are open from 12-26 June, and you can find the application here.
If you are one of the people selected for the free travel pass, you will have to start travelling between 9 July and 30 September 2018.