How to get your 30 mins exercise a day
Simple things you can do to get your daily intake of physical activity
Thirty minutes can sound like an awful long time…especially when you’re looking to get stuck into exercise for the first time, but it’s not really that scary. We’re going to break it down for you so you can start getting your 30 mins a day in. Usually in a day you’re awake for 18 hours, which is 36 thirty minute sections (that’s some good maths there SpunOut!). So all you need is to take one of those 30 minute slots for investing in your exercise.
What can 30 mins of exercise replace?
- Those 30 mins of Geordie Shore or whatever other programme that really isn’t making an impact on your life!
- That 30 mins of procrastination on the couch before you decide what to do for the evening.
- That 30 mins of pushing the snooze button in the morning.
- The 30 mins on public transport that you can swap out for a walk.
- That 30 mins of looking at the internet for cat pictures.
What are the things you can try in that 30 mins?
- Running - no need for a treadmill, just a decent pair of runners and the open road/park/track.
- Cycling - a bike is a bit of an investment but will save you money in the long run if you cycle to college/work instead of taking the bus.
- Brisk Walking - people often think walking isn’t proper exercise but anything that gets your heart rate going is good so pick up the pace!
- Bootcamps have become super popular in recent times. A quick search online will let you know where your nearest one is.
- Yoga - a great way to de-stress but also to improve your flexibility.
- Pilates - this is a great way to exercise your core and helps prevent injury.
- Swimming - exercise in water doesn’t even feel like exercise but it works your whole body.
Don't forget to stretch to help prevent injury. GetIrelandActive.ie have this helpful infograph: