This is a great hobby and way to get exercise
What is it?
It is simply the activity of riding horses. And while it may look like the person horse riding just sits there and the horse does all the work, it is technically gentle exercise.
How do you do it?
Horse riding involves learning how to stay on and steer a horse. It can be done as hobby or in competition.
Where can you do it?
There are equestrian centres all over Ireland. Find your nearest centre here.
What do you need to take part?
- This varies a lot but depending on the centre, you can get lessons using horses from the centre or if you have your own horse, you may need to find a certain type of instructor.
- Beginners don’t need to get all the gear but a helmet will probably be a requirement. Some centres will let you use their equipment as part of the fee but others might not have that option. Make sure to do your research.
- Prices can vary from €40-70 for an hour lesson.
Who would it suit?
Anyone interested in an outdoors activity and likes animals. There are lots of classes available for beginners and amateurs.
You don’t have to be super confident with horses, your confidence will grow with the more practice.
What are the benefits?
- Improves coordination and motor function
- Great for improving your balance
- Strengthens muscles
- Grooming and mucking is good exercise
- Connecting with an animal could be good for your mental health