How to play ultimate frisbee
Ultimate frisbee is growing in popularity around Ireland
Ultimate frisbee is a competitive team sport, played using a frisbee. It began in America in the 1960s, but it's growing incresingly popular on and off college campuses around Ireland.
How ultimate frisbee works
Points are scored in the game by throwing the frisbee to a teammate who is on the other side of the field. You can find full instructions here. In Ultimate Frisbee, there is no referee and no physical contact with other players.
Where to play ultimate frisbee
If you’re in college, there may be an Ultimate Frisbee club on campus. If you're not in college, or your campus doesn't have a club, you can check out the Irish Ultimate Frisbee website for a calendar of events near you.
What do you need to play?
- Two team of 2-7 players on each side.
- A frisbee (you can play with any kind but it is recommend that you play with a special kind, purposely made for playing the game)
- A large outdoor field, with two endzones marked off at either end
- Comfortable clothes and runners
The benefits of playing ultimate frisbee
- It increases endurance
- It helps to burn calories
- It increases agility
- It is a full body workout
- It can boost your mood and provides an opportunity for social interaction
- It can improve your team work skills