Get involved with SpunOut.ie
Help us reach out to more young people
- Are you interested in helping to shape Ireland’s youth information website?
- Do you have stories and opinions that you think will inspire, support, educate and engage young people across Ireland?
- Do you have a passion for writing, making videos/podcasts or working with your peers on important issues?
- Are you aged 16-25 and living in Ireland?
If you’ve answered yes to any of the above, volunteering with SpunOut is for you!
SpunOut.ie is a not-for-profit youth information website by young people, for young people. We aim to provide a platform for the views, experiences and opinions of young people across Ireland. The volunteering opportunities focus on skills, experiences and topical issues that interests you and that you think will help and support your peers. We will support you with feedback, training and access to opportunities. Fill in the below forms and our volunteer skills development officer Heather Barry will be in touch.
There are a number of ways you can volunteer with SpunOut depending on your interests. Check out our volunteering options below, and fill in our interest form to get the ball rolling.
1. Content contributor
To ensure SpunOut.ie represents the views, experiences and opinions of young people across Ireland, volunteers submit articles, videos or podcasts, or create fact sheets to be posted on SpunOut.ie and on our social media. The content can be about any topic that interests you and that you think will interest your peers.
- Content can be sent in at any time of the year
- Check out our article, video and podcast submission guidelines for more information before you get started
- Visit our Opinion section to see what others have submitted
- Looking for ideas – check out our 2018 content call out.
To ensure all of our content is relevant and engaging for young people, we’re looking for some young people to proofread our content to ensure it’s clear, unstandable and engaging. Sign up to be a proofreader and we’ll send you a some fact sheets each month for your review and input. You do not need any prior knowledge about the topics.
We partner with a number of other organisations throughout the year, attending and reporting from their events. Our reporters will attend these events, talk to the organisers and participants and send back a report to be published on SpunOut.ie on the same day. Through this, you can help to highlight the great work of other organisations in the youth sector.
4. SpunOut Action Panel member
When we say “SpunOut is by young people, for young people” we mean it! The Action Panels’ role are to provide strategic leadership to SpunOut about the needs of young people in their area and generate solutions and ideas for how to respond to the ever-challenging information needs of young people.
- There are 4 Regional Action Panels (South, West, North-west and East) and the National Action Panel.
- The Panels meet four times per year.
- There are roughly 35 people per panel and all opinions and ideas are heard and respected.
- Check out Rachel’s experience of being on SpunOut’s Action Panel.
- *** Recruitment for the 2018/2019 Action Panel is now closed. Keep an eye on the site for when we open up the next round of applications***
5. Flash Polls
We’re always interested in hearing what young people in Ireland think about certain topics. We will send a question to the list of flash poll volunteers once a month to ask you for your views. It only takes a few seconds to respond with your opinion. You will be part of a pool of 1000 young opinion makers.
- We’ll only text once a month so you won’t be bombarded with texts
- Your opinion helps to shape the focus and activities of SpunOut.ie
- You can opt out of the texts at any time
6. Other options
If none of those volunteering options appeal to you, feel free to get in touch with email@example.com about other volunteering options. We’re always looking for young people who are interested in
- helping at events,
- running fundraisers
- helping our partners with radio interviews or opinions for newspaper articles.
We can add your name to our list of volunteers that are interested in one of these options or for getting involved on an ad hoc basis.
What do you get in return?
- Ongoing support and advice from SpunOut staff for all volunteering roles.
- We are currently developing face-to-face, online and live training sessions for all SpunOut volunteers. These sessions will focus on developing your skills, knowledge and confidence so you gain useful and practical skills through your volunteering experience.
How do I sign up?
Fill in the below form and let us know what volunteering experience you’re interested in. We’ll be in touch then with more details to get you started.