Ways to eat healthy at college
7 ways to eat healthier while at college
Between classes, studying, socializing, and everything in between it can be difficult to eat healthy at college. Not only does the busy lifestyle keep you from eating healthy, but constantly being surrounded by unhealthy options for food can also cause difficulty with trying to eat healthy. This is why we have come up with a list of things that you can do to make sure that you eat healthy during your terms at college.
Stock up on healthy options
- When ever you go grocery shopping be sure to get loads of veggies and fruits and other healthy options that way when you do get that late night craving in your dorm room the following night you will have something healthy to eat instead of binging on pizza.
- Also having healthy options stocked in your fridge and in your room will make it easier for you to choose to eat healthy rather than eating unhealthy.
Always take the fruit
- When you head to the dining hall be sure to take some fruit with you to go when you are headed out for class.
- The fruit in the dining hall is already included in your meal plan so why not take some with you for a healthy snack later if you get hungry.
Hydrate all day long
- Be sure to drink water all throughout the day!
- Drinking water not only keeps everything in balance in your body but it also keeps you full so you are less likely to eat unhealthy snacks during the day.
- It is recommended to drink around 2 liters of water a day, that is roughly 8 glasses of water a day.
Listen to your body
- If you’re hungry, you’re hungry- so don’t deny yourself of food!
- So make sure that you have healthy snacks always on hand for when your stomach starts to grumble.
- Also note that many times when your stomach is growling it may be because of mild dehydration, so always try to drink water before eating any food.
Check out healthy food accounts
- Go on social media and find some healthy food accounts for inspiration on new nutritious things to eat.
- There are a lot of healthy food accounts that have easy recipes that you can make even in your dorm room.
- Every once and awhile be sure to treat yourself- it’s okay to indulge a little and have some ice cream or candy every so often.
- Don’t completely deprive yourself of things that you enjoy eating.
- Keep in mind that treating yourself is always good, just make sure to maintain a healthy balance of eating healthy and unhealthy things.
Make a routine
- Try and have a routine of when you are going to eat and what you are going to eat, below you can find an example of a day of eating healthy food.
- Breakfast - try and eat something with protein to give you energy to start your day. Start out with some fruit and porridge, eggs, or yogurt to get you going.
- Lunch - although it is easy to skip lunch, try not to! For lunch try getting a healthy salad, soup, or sandwich.
- Snack - for a quick snack try something like a granola bar, some nuts, or some fruit or veggies.
- Dinner - try eating a meat (for example: fish, beef, or chicken) with some veggies, also be sure to try and limit carbs at dinner because they can interfere with a good night’s rest.
- Midnight snack - if you find that you are still really hungry don’t deprive yourself of food, try and eat some veggies, or a ricecake with peanut butter, or some dark chocolate if you are craving something sweet.