10 ways to maintain your positive mental health
Positive mental health is important for our overall wellbeing
Maintaining positive mental health is something that is extremely important for your overall wellbeing. Listed below are a couple ways that you can maintain a positive mental health.
Accept and value yourself
- Every single one of us is different and unique in our own way, and we are all good at doing different things as well.
- That being said, no one is perfect so be sure to treat yourself with kindness and respect, and try not to be too hard on yourself.
- Embracing who you are helps boost self-confidence which can lead you to discover new friends, places and things.
- Fully accepting yourself also boosts your self-esteem, and having high self-esteem is especially helpful to have during difficult times.
Make time for friends and family
- Spending time with family, friends, and people in your community is extremely important for your mental health.
- It is important to have a strong support system and have people who genuinely care about you.
- Those who have better relationships with their friends, family, and people in the community tend to be healthier and happier.
- Having support from your friends and family during difficult times is also helpful in overcoming adversities.
Take a break
- In addition to it being important to have time with friends and family, it is also important to have time for yourself.
- Having time for yourself allows you to de-stress from everything that is going on at the moment.
- Taking a break can mean a wide variety of things (i.e., going on a run, meditating, sitting down and reading, sleeping, going somewhere for the weekend, etc.).
- There has been much research done that shows that we feel better when we have a healthy diet.
- A good diet will keep your mind sharp and your body healthy.
- Eating healthier leads to a happier life.
- Exercise not only benefits your physical and mental health, but it also improves your overall mood and happiness as well.
- When you exercise endorphins (feel good chemical) are released in the brain leading to an overall more positive mood.
- Exercise can also lead to a boost in self-esteem and self-confidence.
- People find that they are in better moods when they start drinking less or completely stop drinking.
- When you spend less time drinking you are able to be more productive.
- Drinking excessively also messes with your sleep quality and hygiene, which is another aspect of maintaining a positive mental health.
- We are not able to function effectively or at our full capacity without enough sleep.
- Not getting enough sleep every night can lead to fatigue, trouble concentrating, and irritability, which are all troublesome if you are trying to maintain a positive mental health.
Express how you feel
- Expressing your feelings or troubles to friends or family members can make a big difference in how you are feeling.
- Talking to others allows us to feel supported and cared for, and also allows you to see new perspectives on the things that are troubling you.
- Expressing feelings can also relieve stress and anxiety.
Care for others
- Caring for others is a great way to create closer relationships with friends and family, and is a great way to show your support for them just as they show their support for you.
- Caring for other doesn’t always necessarily mean your friends and family but it could also mean spending time volunteering and helping those in need or taking care of a pet.
- Caring for others not only helps put our problems in perspective, and also helps us feel better about ourselves because we are spending time helping others.
Accept help when you need it
- We are all only human, therefore we are not able to do everything on our own.
- So when you feel like you need help be sure to ask for it.
- Accepting help will lessen levels of anxiety and stress as well, which is important for maintaining a positive mental health.