SpunOut.ie are inviting volunteers or those interested in volunteering to join us at our Volunteer Engagement Day in Dublin City on Saturday 10 November 2018.
This event brings together some of the leading professionals in journalism, television, radio, and podcasting to present a series of workshops, talks and Q&As. There will also be an awards ceremony, where we will recognise some of the great work that SpunOut.ie volunteers have done over the past year.
This event is free for our volunteers or those interested in volunteering with SpunOut.ie. Learn more about volunteering with us here.
SpunOut.ie Volunteer Engagement Day 2018
Some of the confirmed speakers on the day include:
- Hugh Linehan, Arts & Culture Editor at The Irish Times
- Christina Finn, Political Reporter at TheJournal.ie
- Denise Calnan, News Editor at the Irish Independent
- Philip Bromwell, RTÉ News Video & Mobile Journalist.
- Nicky Ryan, Video Journalist with TheJournal.ie
- Claire O’Dowd, radio presenter and producer
- Craig Dwyer, Founder of ForaChange and co-founder of the Transparent Referendum Initiative
- Laura Harmon, former President of the USI and Mobilisation Lead at Together for Yes
What topics will be covered?
The event will cover a range of topics from the world of online media, preparing you to create any kind of online content, whether that’s writing an article, creating a video, or presenting a podcast.
Some of the topics include:
- Writing news pieces and feature articles
- The power of storytelling with video
- Making videos with your phone
- Writing for the web and the power of stories
- Radio and audio production
- Telling stories through podcasts
What will happen on the day?
This event will run from 1pm – 5:30pm in the SpunOut.ie offices in Templebar, Dublin.
You will have the choice of signing up for a writing or a multimedia session in the morning, and a writing or multimedia session in the afternoon. You can choose to attend both the writing sessions or both the multimedia sessions, or you can mix it up and learn about the two.
We have different speakers for all sessions so you're bound to have an interesting and engaging session no matter what you sign up for.
You can find the agenda for the day below:
- 13:00 – 13:45 – Networking & getting to know other SpunOut.ie volunteers
- 13:45 – 14:00 – Welcome from Ian Power, SpunOut.ie Executive Director and Heather Barry SpunOut.ie Skills Development Officer
- 14:00 – 15:30 – Presentations, workshops and Q&A on writing and multimedia. Talks by journalists & multimedia producers from The Journal.ie and RTE. Focus on writing news pieces & features pieces, the power of storytelling with videos & making videos with your phone
- 15:30 – 16:00 – SpunOut.ie volunteer awards
- 16:00 – 17:30 – Presentations, workshops and Q&A on writing and multimedia. Talks by journalists & multimedia producers from The Irish Independent, The Irish Times and more. Focus on writing for the web & the power of stories, radio and audio production & telling stories through podcasts
SpunOut.ie Volunteer Awards
It has been a great year for SpunOut.ie volunteers, and we want to take the opportunity to recognise some of the great work that our contributors have done over the past year.
On the day we'll be recognising the content contributors, reporters and proofreaders who have written articles, created videos or podcasts, reported from events across Ireland and helped to ensure the content on SpunOut.ie is the best it can be.
The awards will be presented by Ian Power, SpunOut.ie's Executive Director.
I’m not a current SpunOut.ie volunteer. Can I still attend?
If you are not currently volunteering with us at SpunOut.ie, but you are interested in volunteering, you are welcome to attend this event. This is a chance for our volunteers to engage with us and learn new skills, and for those who have never worked with us before to find out how they can get involved with SpunOut.ie.
SpunOut.ie volunteers must be 16-25 years old and based in Ireland. Learn more about volunteering with SpunOut.ie here.
Are there any costs involved?
The event is free, but places are given on a first come, first served basis. If you’re interested in attending this event, you can sign up here.
If you are travelling from outside of Dublin, we will be able to cover the cost of transport to and from the event.