6 simple steps for affordable exercise
There's more to exercise than the gym
They say the best things in life are free, well this is true, and EXERCISE IS FREE! You’ll see a lot of ways to exercise the expensive way, but lets avoid those. Sometimes it’s important to spend a little bit of money on equipment, to make sure that you’re comfy and won’t get injured. But you do not need a gym, designer running gear and a personal trainer to be fit, so don’t get sucked into that.
So here are our top tips for affordable exercise
Check out what’s on in your local area, from bootcamps to yoga to social running clubs. It's often only a few euros for a class.
Getting a good pair of runners
Keep an eye out in sports shops, as often there’s some really good deals going. You don’t need the latest models, so go for the ones that maybe last seasons. Do get fitted though, that’s really important. Good runners will last you and help prevent injuries. Elverys often do “buy one get one half price” so get a friend to go in with you on it.
Discount supermarket deals
Lidl and Aldi often have really good deals on clothing, like cycle stuff, wind breakers, hiking boots etc. They are super cheap and are of good quality. Keep an eye out for the deals.
County Councils are now starting to install public use equipment in parks. It’s free to use, so check it out.
The Internet is pretty much a one stop shop for instructional exercise videos. You can get good quality videos and instruction on everything you could need from yoga to running to swimming technique. Get searching!
Get out in the air
We’re lucky in Ireland to have some really beautiful scenery around, and it’s free to get out in it. A good view when out exercising can make all the difference, so check out some new spots to feast the senses.
Some fun hacks
- Why not try out a few other interesting free and affordable ways to exercise:
- Find a local basketball hoop and slam some dunks
- Sex = fitness and a great feeling all in one!
- Take your dog (or a friend’s) for a walk and maybe, a game of catch.
- Get yourself a frisbee or ball and get an old school game of catch in.
- Dance your socks off. Get the tunes on and hop around like a mad yolk.
- Get out for a hike with a bit of weight in your backpack.
- Get out the rollar blades, skates, skipping rope or something you used to do as a kid and recreate the buzz.
- Music up to 11 and get the hover out, dance around like a rock star. Cleaning can be a productive way of getting some exercise and feng shui’n the gaf.