New spin on traditional yoga
What is aerial yoga?
Aerial yoga or antigravity yoga is a form of yoga that is done using a soft, fabric hammock that hangs from the ceiling. The fabric is held up by carabineers, chains and webbing straps and normally hang around three feet off the ground, but the height can be adjusted to your preference. Throughout the class you are asked to a variety of traditional yoga poses or aerial adaptations of yoga poses while using the hammock for support. Poses vary from sitting on the hammock while doing stretches and poses to hanging upsidedown while doing stretches and poses.
Why do aerial yoga?
Aerial yoga offers all of the great benefits you get from traditional yoga and more, such as:
- Increased flexibility - the fabric hammock allows for you to have a greater range of movement which means that you are able to put your body in new positions, which could lead to greater and more fulfilling stretches.
- Muscle strengthening - since you are hanging on a fabric hammock your muscles are working harder to keep your body in balance; aerial yoga is especially good for strengthening core muscles since these muscles are what are most used while trying to balance on the hammock.
- Stress relief - similar to traditional yoga, aerial yoga helps relieve stress. It also makes you feel better about yourself knowing that you have accomplished something that was tedious to do.
- Better focus - aerial yoga causes you to concentrate harder on poses you are doing since you are in a more challenging situation by hanging on a hammock. It also causes you to become more aware and alert of your surroundings.
How to prepare for your first class
- Wear form-fitting clothes - baggy clothes can cause extra hassle while trying to maneuver and do new poses the hammock.
- Ditch your shoes - you will find that going barefoot will be much easier and feel much more natural when it comes to doing aerial yoga than doing it with shoes on.
- Come hydrated and nourished - make sure you drink lots of water and eat a small meal before going to your aerial yoga class, you will find that this will be beneficial in keeping your energy up for the class.
- Don’t wear jewelry - try not to wear anything that can get caught or tangled in the hammock.
- Respect your instructor and fellow classmates - the nicer you are to others the more willing they will be to help you when you need it.