Never have a basic lunch again!
Simple and quick ideas for midday meals.
It's easy to get sick of the same ol same lunch time sambo and soups, but it's equally as easy to try some of our suggestions to change things up a bit.
Bread is a handy base. Preferably brown/wholegrain you can fill it with a mix of meat and veg. Fed up of the good aul ham and cheese? Try some tuna and cucumber, peanut butter and banana, or turkey, tomato and lettuce. Alternate filling with other bread based foods like pitta pockets, bagels, wraps or crackers so it doesn’t feel like you’re having the same ol thing every day.
Chicken salads are an easy and healthy lunch option. You can add whatever veg you fancy from peppers, lettuce, onions, broccoli, spinach – and if you feel like a salad won’t quite fill you up enough, try it with pasta.
If you have facilities on your lunch break for heating up food, try the following:
- Homemade soup. Some old fashioned vegetable soup is always a nice filler-upper food wise. You can alternate with ingredients like chicken and noodles, leek and potato and tomato.
- Baked potatoes are quite tasty and you can mix and match what toppings to put with them. You could try cheese and tuna, bacon and sweet corn, beef and tomato, or even turkey and ham!
- Lasagne is one dish that manages to hold its yuminess cold and even reheated. You could cook it early in the week and get a few days out of it for lunches or dinners.
- Try some beans on toast to get your protein in, or some tofu dishes.
- Veggie chili with kidney beans and rice on the side is a tasty alternative. Some spaghetti and aubergine is a good choice to keep you going on your lunchbreak.
- Pasta bake
- Vegetable Risotto
- Vegetable lasagne
- Veggie curry
- Vegetable burger
- Vegetable stir fry and tofu noms
- Green salad
- Spicy wedges
- Did we mention vegetable soup?
Feeling brave? Why not try Avril's recipe for homemade chicken fillet rolls: