So you think you’re not addicted to smoking?
You might be more addicted to smoking than you think.
A lot of smokers don’t think they’re addicted. They may think smoking is just a casual habit, that they only do it because they enjoy it, and that they can quit with ease any time they want. Sound familiar? The thing is, nicotine (the addictive ingredient in cigarettes) is highly addictive. In fact, there is research that suggests nicotine is as addictive, if not more so, than heroin.
Yes, there are varying levels of addiction, and some people are more dependant on cigarettes than other people.
Check out the questions below - they’re a good gauge to see whether you’re addicted to cigarettes or not.
- Have you ever tried to give up, but couldn’t?
- Do you smoke now because you feel giving up would be too hard?
- Have you ever thought maybe you’re addicted to smoking?
- Do you ever have strong cravings to smoke?
- Have you ever felt like you just really need a smoke?
- Is it hard to keep from smoking in places where smoking isn’t allowed?
- If you tried to give up smoking, did you find it hard to concentrate because you couldn’t smoke?
- Did you feel more irritable and uncomfortable because you couldn’t smoke?
- Did you feel a strong need to smoke?
- Did you feel nervous or anxious because you couldn’t smoke?
If you answered yes to even one of these questions, that means, yes, you are addicted to nicotine. This addiction will only get worse over time, so now is the time to quit. So pick a date to quit and stick to it. There’s loads of support out there, and you’re more than capable.
Get help and support to QUIT smoking
- Visit Quit.ie for tips on how to stop smoking.
- Call the Quitline on Freephone 1800 201 203 to talk to someone who understands and can help you quit.
- Head to the Quit.ie Facebook page to read stories from others who have quit smoking and to share your own.
- Check out SpunOut's articles about giving up cigarettes.