This awesome sport can be played in teams or as individual
What is it?
Squash is a sport played using rackets. It’s a little bit like tennis but is played by hitting the ball against a wall rather than over a net, and the rackets and balls are a different size. It can be played as individuals, or in teams of two.
How do you do it?
The game is played by hitting the ball against surfaces in the court with a racket. The Irish Squash website has information on how to play here.
Where you can do it?
There are squash clubs all over the country. A quick Google search will show whether there’s one in your area. If you’re in college, there may be a Squash club on campus.
What do you need to play?
- A wall or a squash court.
- Another person, or 3 other people if you want to play doubles
- Comfortable clothes
- Thin soled shoes
- Squash ball and racket, or a tennis ball and racket
The cost of joining a squash club varies. If you don’t fancy spending to join a club, you could learn to play by checking out some YouTube tutorials. Grab a mate and a wall, and play it with them!
Who would it suit?
Squash can be played as an individual sport, or in two teams of two people. If you’re not into sports with big teams, squash is a good option. You can play it indoors also so no need to worry about those rainy evenings!
What are the benefits?
- It helps develop agility and flexibility
- It improves your strength and overall fitness
- It increases hand-eye co-ordination
- It makes your heart healthier
- It’s fun and a great way to meet people
- It can improve your confidence and wellbeing, and help reduce stress