So you think you're not addicted to smoking?
You might be more addicted to smoking than you think
A lot of smokers don’t think they’re addicted. They may think smoking is just a casual habit, that they only do it because they enjoy it, and that they can quit with ease any time they want. Sound familiar?
The thing is, nicotine, the addictive substance in cigarettes, rollies, and e-cigarettes (vaping), is a highly addictive psychoactive drug. In fact, nicotine is one of the most addictive substances in the world. In time, you will need more and more nicotine to get the same effect.
Check out the questions below to see whether you’re addicted to smoking or not.
Think you're not addicted? Answer these questions.
- Have you ever tried to give up, but couldn’t?
- Do you smoke now because you feel giving up would be too hard?
- Do you have strong cravings to smoke?
- Is it hard to keep from smoking in places where smoking isn’t allowed?
- If you tried to give up smoking, did you find it hard to concentrate because you couldn’t smoke?
- Did you feel more irritable and uncomfortable because you couldn’t smoke?
- Did you feel nervous or anxious because you couldn’t smoke?
If you answered yes to even one of these questions, that means, yes, you are addicted to nicotine. This addiction will only get worse over time, so now is the time to quit. Make a plan, pick a date to quit and stick to it. There’s loads of support out there, and with support and determination you can be smoke free.
Get help and support to QUIT smoking
- Visit Quit.ie for tips on how to stop smoking.
- Call the Quitline on Freephone 1800 201 203 to talk to someone who understands and can help you quit.
- Head to the Quit.ie Facebook page to read stories from others who have quit smoking and to share your own.
- Check out SpunOut's articles about giving up cigarettes.
Disclaimer: There is more than one way to quit smoking. You may need to try a few different things to find what is right for you. For advice and support on quitting, visit SpunOut.ie/QUIT