Racism is deeply rooted in the structures of our society, giving privilege to mainly white people and which are biased against people of colour. Since the killing of George Floyd, the Black Lives Matter movement has highlighted the extent to which racism continues to exist around the world. It is vital that we all work to educate ourselves about racism and the experiences of people from minority groups, and actively behave in ways that are anti-racist.
SpunOut.ie’s Anti-Racism Guide
This guide contains anti-racism articles from the Irish Network Against Racism (INAR) and SpunOut.ie, guides to understanding the Black Lives Matter movement, lived experience pieces by young people from minority backgrounds and opinion pieces as to why being actively anti-racist is essential.
Share your experiences as a person from a minority group in Ireland
At SpunOut.ie we want to prioritise giving young people from minority backgrounds a platform on which they can share their experiences, opinions and advice and actively work to ensure the content we produce is inclusive of all young people in Ireland. If you are a young person living in Ireland from a minority background and would like to share your experiences, get in touch and our Head of Volunteering and Safeguarding will work with you to help publish your work on site.
- Where does racism originate from?
- Common forms of racism in Ireland
- The effects of racism in Ireland
- A guide to understanding different dimensions of racism
- What is white privilege?
- Who are the Travelling Community in Ireland?
- What is Direct Provision in Ireland?
- How to educate yourself about racism
- What to do if you witness racism
- How to react to racism online
- How can I help end Direct Provision?
Black Lives Matter explainers
- What happened to George Floyd?
- What is the Black Lives Matter movement?
- How to support Black Lives Matter from Ireland
Experiences of racism in Ireland
- Why being black in Ireland is hard
- My experience of racism in Ireland
- Share your story as a young LGBTI+ person of colour in Ireland
Black Lives Matter opinion pieces
- Resources that have helped me learn about racism
- We need to take a serious look at racism in Ireland
- How I’m supporting the Black Lives Matter movement
- Why we need to fix the Direct Provision system
- Why we need to support people in Direct Provision during COVID-19
Need more information?
We are here to answer your questions and talk through your options. Our online chat service is for 16 to 25 year olds and is available Monday to Friday, 4pm to 8pm. Chat to us now about your situation.